About IATF 16949
IATF 16949 is the international standard applicable in automotive industry for parts suppliers. IATF 16949 is aligned with ISO 9001:2015 quality management systems standard and fully respecting this structure and requirements.
ISO 9001 is a general standard, applicable for all industries/sectors, from agriculture to manufacturing, and it is maintained by ISO. IATF 16949 is maintained by the International Automotive Task Force, including membership from Chrysler, Ford Motor Company, General Motors Corp, PSA Peugeot Citroën and Renault, and other contributors, being specifically applicable for automotive parts producers. We can conclude that IATF 16949 is a specific industry standard, such is AS9000 for aerospace industry.
Only companies which manufactures automotive customer-specified, service or accessories parts for customers are eligible for certification. Roughly said, means that your company needs to provide parts for a car-maker and parts needs to be manufactured in one of your location. More specifically, support locations like IT, HR are not eligible for an independent certification.
OMS consulting methodology
We modify our approach according each project, but mainly we are working by following several main steps:
- Establish project team
- Presentation of standard requirements – in-house training
- Gap assessment
- review customer-specific requirements with
- analyze actual system (if exists) to identify what can be kept, what has to be modified and what needs to be created from ground
- Create main infrastructure – deploy templates for manual, procedures, work instructions and forms
- According project and customer infrastructure: install DCS (Document Controller System) digital tool, or create a Share Point folder/ network share
- Train “Master user” – generally is Quality Manager or similar
- Create documentation and implement best in class practices
- Create and implement Quality Policy
- Process map creation
- Create and implement process procedures, work instruction and forms – workshop with each process owner
- Implement ORC (Online Risks Controller) digital tool, or a XLSM file (Excel with macro file) to manage the risks and actions, according project and customer infrastructure
- Train process owners and involved personnel regarding PDCA (Plan Do Check Act) cycle
- Deploy core tools
- Install ECM (Engineering Changes Management Module) or an XLSM file (Excel with macro file) to manage projects and engineering changes
- Implement core tools (APQP and Control Plan, FMEA, PPAP, SPC and MSA)
- Train involved employees – 5 days training
- Workshops with involved employees – goal: start utilization of core tools
- Implement Problem Solving/ G8D method
- Create system for customer and supplier issues monitoring
- Implement G8D
- Integrate form
- Train involved employees – 1 day in-house training
- Implement internal audit process
- Implement management review
- Creation/ update procedure, template (forms)
- Workshop with Plant Manager/ main interface
- Assist in gathering inputs, perform the meeting and issue the decisions
In the end you are ready for certification!
If requested, we can initially manage your communication process with your selected certification body.
If requested, we can implement customer-specific requirements like Renault ASES audit preparation for example.